Friday, February 29, 2008

Are you alright?



SANCTUS REAL - "I'm Not Alright"

If weakness is a wound that no one wants to speak of,
Then cool is just how far we have to fall
I am not immune-I only wanna be loved
But I feel safe behind the firewall
Can I lose my need to impress?
If you want the truth, I need to confess

I'm not alright
I'm broken inside, broken inside
And all I go through
It leads me to you, it leads me to you

Burn away the pride, bring me to my weakness
Until everything I hide behind is gone
and when I'm open wide with nothing left to cling to
only you are there to lead me on
Because honestly, I'm not that strong

I'm not alright - I'm broken inside, broken inside
and all i go through - it leads me to you, it leads me to you

(and now i'm moved, and now i'm moved, and now i'm moved)closer to you
(and now i'm moved, and now i'm moved, and now i'm moved)closer to you
(and now i'm moved, and now i'm moved, and now i'm moved)closer to you
(and now i'm moved, and now i'm moved, and now i'm moved)

I'm not alright - I'm broken inside, broken inside
I'm broken inside, broken inside
and all I go through leads me to you, leads me to you

I'm not alright - I'm not alright - I'm not alright
Thats why I need you


I have a question? What would happen if all of us that follow Christ "truly" had an understanding of brokenness before Him? We come to church with our "Sunday Best", walk by other people with smiles on our faces and when asked how we are doing give the courteous, "I'm alright. How are you?" without even missing a step in our stride. Inside we are wanting to scream out "I AM NOT ALRIGHT"! If we can not come to our "church homes" with our "church families" and be honest with were we are in life, then were can we be honest? I am not asking for open confession at the pulpit every Sunday, but I am asking for the ability to let people come to church to find healing for their wounds from the One that can truly heal.

We say that we want "outsiders" to the church to feel comfortable, so we paint the walls a certain color and make sure that we have people at the front door to shake their hands as they come in as if we are a group of people that have it all together. Is that really what they want? What would really make them feel comfortable is an attitude of, "Come on in. We don't have all the answers here but we are trying to find them through our daily walk (and it's not always easy) with our Jesus. You want to join us?"

Lord, I pray that we all begin to see that "WE ARE NOT ALRIGHT". Help us to know that if it were not for you holding our shirt tails, we would fall over the cliffs of life. "Because (we) I'm not that strong" Help us all to see that our weakness brings us (and others) closer to you. Jesus thank you for being there. Amen.

2 comments:

John said...

Brad,
I'm not sure which are better, your sermons or your blog posts. Either way, I am left humbled. Thank you.

Brad said...

You will never know what those words mean to me. Thank you.